1021 Waverly St. (formerly Barley St.)
|Ernest Hexamer and William Locher. Maps of the City of
Philadelphia. Volume 3, Plate 33. (Philadelphia 1858-1862).
From Places in Time website (www.brynmawr.edu/iconog)
|Photograph taken May 8, 2003|
Fire Insurance Survey
|Survey of Casper [sic] W. Morris's new two Story Brick house, Situate
No. on the north side of Barley Street, between Pine, Lombard, Tenth &
Eleventh Streets. Front 13 feet. Depth 15 feet. First Story one room, plain
mantle, washbd. Closet & windows [cased?]. Common Square head front
door. Second Story, 1 Room. Similar to first story. Garret in one &
plaist[erd?]. Trap door. Common winding Stairs, floor Sap pine bd., party
walls 9 inches. [Illegible] 8 by 10 inches, no ash hole, Brick Cornices,
No Building adjoining, Water plenty.
$250. Feb. of 1814.
The above is a [illegible] survey of the Premises as now insured.
Copy from the Philadelphia Historical Commission
Note: Information was not available regarding the fire insurance company that completed this survey.
Chain of Title
The chain of title on file at the Philadelphia Historical Commision indicates that, at the time of the census in 1837, the house was owned by Caspar W. Morris, the Elder, brewer, who may have rented the site to an African-American family.
Chain of title prepared by George Anne Porter, Research Assistant at the Philadelphia Historical Commission, August 25, 1964.