1023-1025 Waverly St.(formerly Barley St.)
|Ernest Hexamer and William Locher. Maps of the City of Philadelphia.
Volume 3, Plate 33. (Philadelphia 1858-1862).
From Places in Time website (www.brynmawr.edu/iconog)
|1125 Waverly St.||1123 Waverly St.|
|Photographs taken May 8, 2003|
Fire Insurance Survey
|I have Surveyed two adjoining brick Houses belonging to Charles Birnbaum.
Situate on the North Side of Barley Street in the rear of his House. South
side of Pine Street between 10th and 11th Streets, the Eastern house being
14 feet front, the Western 18 feet front (including an alley), both 15 feet
deep, three stories high, 9 in. walls. The lower story of each house is
in one room, the floors of 5/4 in. yellow pine, plain base & Grecian
mouldings to doors & windows, plain marble mantles, & one breast
closet in each house. [Illegible] 8 by 10 inches outside shutters.
The 2nd Story of East house in one room and the Western in two rooms and
box entry. The floors of 5/4 in. yellow pine, plain base, and Grecian mouldings.
Mantle, shelf and breast closet in each house. [Illegible] 8 by 10
in. outside shutters front and back. The 3rd Stories divided same as the
2nd Story, the floors of 5/4 in. yellow pine, plain base and Grecian mouldings.
Mantle, shelf & closet in each house. [Illegible] 8 by 10 in.
All the sash [sic] single hung. Kitchens in the cellar, floors of
5/4 in. yellow pine, plain base, single moudlings, mantle shelves and two
closets. The sink of [house?] pipe for cold water. Plain winding stairs
in each house from the cellar to the trap door. A rough floor raised above
the roof, open joints, and plain rails round for drying clothes. Shed roof,
brick eave, tin Gutter & pipe. Newly built.
1st Month 1849.
Each House is separately insured in the sum of D250. Policy No. 7623.
D500. at [illegible] D10-
Agreed to be correct.
Copy from the Philadelphia Historical Commission
Note: Information was not available regarding the fire insurance company that completed this survey.
Chain of Title
The chain of title on file at the Philadelphia Historical Commision indicates that, at the time of the census in 1837, the house was owned by Charles Birnbaum, a baker, who may have rented the site to an African-American family.
Chain of title prepared by George Anne Porter, Research Assistant at the Philadelphia Historical Commission, August 25, 1964.