Southwest corner of Eighth and Chestnut Streets, 1851

The corner building, facing Chestnut Street, holds the business of "H. Hooker & Co." It offers "stationary" (sic); and books. It is #200. The next building, #202, houses "Murphy & Billmyers House Furnishing, Hardware and Warerooms." At #204 is "W. J. Horstman" with "Fringes, Gimps, Buttons." Building #204 1/2 appears to be empty. The next store has the name "Everest" over the door and display window. The adjacent building has no decipherable designation and the last building to the right of the image has "Le Boutillier Bro." over the doorway, and "Fancy Dry Goods" near the roof. A yellow, two-horse omnibus is on Chestnut Street. It has red wheels. Painted in red letters are the words "Girard College," 10th & Chestnut," "Exchange," and "J. Peter." There is a two-horse closed coach with two drivers on the left. One driver has a whip and both are warmed with a lap robe. There are three couples, three unescorted women and seven men in this scene. Crosswalks and curbing are installed.

Drawn for Ferdinand J. Dreer, 1851.

Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.004 /evans/lcp004.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000