Northwest corner of Broad and Chestnut Streets, 1879

The side of the corner building facing Chestnut Street has a sign for "R. Steel Importers of Wine & Segars Fine Liquors." The sidewalks in front of this building on both streets are protected with metal awnings. Several windows on the Chestnut Street side have blue and white striped awnings and are open. Some of the windows have closed shutters; some windows have both shutters and awnings. The next building facing Broad Street is the Broadway Hotel. It advertises "On the European Plan." Its windows are protected by white dripcaps. Its sidewalk is also covered with a metal awning. The next smaller building advertises "Patterson's Sample Room." Its sidewalk is protected with a smaller retractable awning. Next is a building advertising "Billiard Tables, Taylor & Estephe Manufactory." A frame to support an awing is installed, but an awning is not in place. There is a small sign attached to the frame advertising "Awnings." The next building has the word "Lager" painted on it. It has neither awning nor frame. The last building is not identified as to occupant; it does have a blue and white striped awning in place over the sidewalk. The upper storey green shutters are all closed. The Chestnut Street horsecar tracks are in view as well as twelve people.

Drawn for Ferdinand J. Dreer, 1851.

Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.007 /evans/lcp007.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000