Southwest corner of Seventh and Chestnut Streets, 1851

Philadelphia, Pa.

This handsome street scene features a large red brick corner building which is not identified.The buiding has display windows across the entire front at street level. There are decorative semi-circular recesses atop the long windows on the second floor. Next right is a yellow 3 1/2 storey townhouse with marble steps, pilasters, and dripcap over the door. Next right in a red brick building are two businesses, "Mrs. M. Burks Millenry(sic)," and "Winchester & Scott Furnishing Store." The adjacent building is unidentified, but stands out because of the quoin work at both sides of the facade. It is followed by "Cornelus & Co. Gas Fixtures." Across the street and on the corner, the building housing "Warne's Rifle & Pistol Gallery" is partially visible. There are two passenger coaches and numerous people on the sidewalks. The red brick sidewalks have grey stone curbing. There is a gas lamp on one corner.


Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.043 /evans/lcp043.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000