Edward Penington Mansion, Feb. 1859


Present site of a School House, 1890.

Crown St., Philadelphia, Pa.

View of a very handsome red brick, 3 1/2-storey mansion with a large walled side garden sitting on a corner. The shutters are white as is the decorative trim around the front door. The part of the wall facing front is topped with wrought iron, permitting passersby to view the side garden. Ivy grows up the side of the house. There are wrought iron railings leading to the front door beside the steps. It is spring and the trees are in early leaf. A Race and Vine Street horsecar on its tracks passes the house. A gas lamp is on the corner. A few pedestrians are on the sidewalk.

Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.048


http://brynmawr.edu/iconog /evans/lcp048.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000