Southwest corner of Eighth and Callowhill Streets, 1873

Philadelphia, Pa.

A light green 2 1/2-storey townhouse faces Eighth Street. To the left a decorative green wall topped with open fencing encloses a garden area with leaved trees. To the right, along Callowhill Street a plain wooden fence encloses the rear of the townhouse property. There is a two storey building to the rear of the townhouse which appears to be a business establishment. It may or may not be part of the townhouse. No signs indicate whether this is a business rather than a private home. Two horsecars are in the scene traveling on iron tracks. One carries the name "Park," and the destination, "Callowhill and Market." There are nineteen male and female adults in the scene.

Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.056

 


http://www.brynmawr.edu/iconog/evans/files/plc056.html
updated Dec. 2011, jc