Northeast corner of Second and Arch Streets, December 1878

Philadelphia, Pa.

The four-storey red brick corner building with white shutters carries signs for "Wainwright & Co." and "Groceries and Tea." A woman sells merchandise from a table made of two sawhorses and a plank. There are three additional adults in the scene. The white building to the left, numbered "103" advertises a jeweler (full name not visible) and "Jam Cresty (?) Mixed Paints." The red brick building to the right carries a sign for "Hats" and Damai(?). There is an awning frame attached to this building. A corner streetlight, telegraph pole, and tracks for horsecars are visible.

Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.064 /evans/lcp064.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000