Old Floating Boat Houses at Fairmount, 1881

Removed 1882

Fairmount, Schuylkill River, Philadelphia, Pa.

A floating boathouse, its banner flying, stores rental oarboats. Numerous boats surrounded it in the water. One of the boats has been pulled up on the shore by the path. The boathouse is identified as "Geo. Popps Park Boat House." In the background to the left is "T. Tillot, Boats To Hire." A woman with raised parasol sits on a wooden and iron bench while a man with a cane stands before her. There are a boy and a girl nearby and a little girl with a man on the pier to the far right. The trees are in bloom in this summer scene.

Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.068


http://brynmawr.edu/iconog /evans/lcp068.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000