Schuylkill River, Philadelphia, Pa.
The artist has identified the P.R.R. Grain Depot to the left in this image. A pile driver and the abutment are visible. Most of the buildings are low sheds, with a 2 to 3- storey building to the left. There are two barges, one loaded, one empty. A man in a red shirt rows two men on the river.
The Encyclopedia of Philadelphia (Joseph Jackson, 1931) has as its first entry the word "abbatoir" which translates as "slaughterhouse." The entry reads: " In 1875, the stock-yards and abattoir were removed ....to Thirtieth and Race Streets, on the west bank of the Schuylkill River" Perhaps the artist misspelled "abattoir" as abator. The low buildings in the background could be housing animals ready for slaughter.
Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.075
updated by BMC July 18, 2000