Southwest corner of Market and Merrick Streets, 1879

Market and Merrick Streets, Philadelphia, Pa.

Central to this scene is the four-storey white building with mansard roof housing the "Third National Bank" facing Market Street. It also houses, on the Merrick Street side, the "West Penn Square Academy" operated by T. B. Langton. Horsecar tracks are laid on both streets. There is a single lamp post on the corner. Adjaced to the bank on Market Street is the "E. Y. Sterner Segars Tobacco Warehouse." The rest of the scene is full of private townhouses, two of which has second storey wrought iron balconies. Thee are several adult pedestrians and two leafless trees completing the scene.

Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.089 /evans/lcp089.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000