Occupied in 1844 by Colored Orphan Asylum
The "Philadelphia & Reading R. R. Co. Office" building dominates this scene. The four-storey red brick building has a high green fence to the right connecting it to a two-storey green building housing "Sullivan & Sweeney Cotton Wool, RAGS, Waste Paper and Old Metal." Also advertised on the front of this building is "Corn, Oats, Mill Feed, Cut Hay, Baled Hay and Straw, Cracked Corn and Bran." To the left of the railroad building are a series of low red brick structures. They house: "J. Hunsinker, Commercial Merchant," "Haines & Scarlet," "J. Neil & Son, Lehigh Coal;" and "Barber & Son Coal Office, 13th & Noble." There are a water pump and hydrant curbside. There are several large barrels in front of the rag business and six adults in the scene. Horsecar tracks run along the street which also sports a red brick sidewalk with stone curbing.
Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.093