Northwest corner of Eighth and Arch Streets, 1882

Eighth and Arch Street, Philadelphia, Pa.

"Rush House" is to the left in a four-storey red brick building in this image. The proprietor is "H. P. Reed." The next building, made of white blocks, does not advertise its business. The corner building bears this sign: "This old landmark to come down, It's no use. Down she comes July 1." The awnings on this edifice advertise "Woods Popular Trimming Store." Going around the corner, onto Eighth Street, "Hollanders Human Hair Store" is visible. Next is "T. O. Fulmer," and last," Mark's." Two horsecars are in the scene, the Arch Street vehicle operating between Fairmount and the wharf; pulled by a pair, one white and one chestnut; and #14 on Eighth Street heading for Fairmount. There are two handsome closed passenger carriages outside the human hair store. The scene includes many pedestrians including a newsboy waving a paper and running to a passerby.

Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.095 /evans/lcp095.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000