Old Church- Northwest corner of Eleventh and Wood Streets, 1881

Built for Rev. Stockton. Seven or eight years ago opened as a Variety Theatre closed by the Mayor as immoral. First Sunday Morning Breakfast Association rooms. Now Salvation Army.

Eleventh and Wood Streets, Philadelphia, Pa

A gray classically styled building with a double staircase leading to a porch now closed off by red and yellow panels faces Eleventh Street. Three rear windows on Wood Street are boarded up. Three other windows have broken panes. At street level on the Wood Street side a wooden enclosure has been installed. It bears a sign for the Salvation Army next to an open door. It also serves to hold broadsides, one of which advertises the Can-Can. To the right of the Salvation Army building are two townhouses, one bearing a sign for Carlton Street which separates it from the Salvation Army edifice. To the rear of the Salvation Army building, on Wood Street, is a smaller building housing "Bates Carpenter Builder." A horsecar, operated by the Citizen Line, bears the number 10 and travels on Tenth and Eleventh Streets. There are ten adult pedestrians in the scene in addition to those on the horsecar. This neighborhood has red brick sidewalks with stone curbing, crosswalks defined by large stone slabs, and a gas lamp.

Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.099


http://brynmawr.edu/iconog /evans/lcp099.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000