Demolished 1889, Present site of The Gladstone.
Eleventh and Pine Streets., Philadelphia, Pa.
To the left on Pine Street is the sign "Stove & Heater Manufacturer." Next right are "Birds." Several bird cages hang outside on display. Next is "Schriber, Tin & Sheet Iron Worker." The next building advertises "Segars." A red pillar (?) stands curbside advertising "Tobacco." The corner store is "M. Traynor Licensed Tavern and Oyster House." A wooden frame for an awning extends to the curb. This low wooden gray building also bears a sign on the 11th Street side: "This property for sale. C. H. Muirhead, 205 S. 2nd St." A red sign on the corner of the building advertises "Segars." Continuing around the corner, on 11th Street, "Lager Beer" is sold. Two horsecars come into view, the No. 3 which travels on 10th and 11th Streets, and the No. 4 which travels on Spruce and Pine Streets between Fairmount Park and Grays Ferry. Almost all of the adult figures in the scene are African-American.
Location: Library Company Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.121
updated by BMC august 03, 2000