Southeast corner of Franklin and Girard Avenue, 1884

Franklin and Girard Avenues, Philadelphia, Pa.

In this scene Girard Avenue is divided by a one-storey wooden building which appears to be a market shed. The upper stories of red brick buildings can be seen behind it. They house the following buisinesses: "A. L. Flue, Excelsior Range" (which also advertised heaters) and "A. W. Paulsworth, Flour." The side of the largest building holds advetisements for "National Horse Shoe" and "Smiths Pat. Milk Cans." On the corner, facing both Franklin and Girard, are one-storey wooden buildings housing: "Goodenough and Seeley" (which had a horseshoe depicted in the sign); "Thomas Miller" (an unspecified business) housed in #714; and "Tamous" (sic) a restaurant selling oysters and "fine stew 15 cents." A #2 horsecar is at the right margin, traveling along Franklin Street. The words "Richmond" and "North Penn" are painted on its side. Two horsecars travel on Girard Avenue. One bears both numbers 2 and 4 and the words "Girard Ave" and "Park." In the background is the steeple of an unidentified church.

Location: Library Company Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.132 /evans/plc132.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000