Northeast corner of Fifth and Chestnut Streets, 1851

One can see both sides the corner building. It houses F. Brown Druggist; H. J. Pepperison Jewelers; and Blanchard & Rock Paper Hangings which doorway is designated #165. Next to the corner building on the Chestnut Street side is the Franklin Fire Insurance Co.

A yellow trolley with green wheels, marked "Exchange" and "Chestnut Street" is loading passengers at the rear. There are two escorted ladies in the painting and one unescorted. There are 13 male figures, some with top hats and canes or rolled umbrellas. The solitary tree is bare of leaves.

Drawn for Ferdinand J. Dreer, 1851.

Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.002

 


http://brynmawr.edu/iconog /evans/lcp002.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000