On the left is the white Washington House hotel w/blue & white striped
awnings in the windows of the 2nd & 3rd floors. Next is the business
of Charles Goodman. He offers dry goods, shawls and skirts.There are also
blue and white striped awnings on the 3rd story windows. The next building
houses Esler Segars. Also advertised on the front of the building are "canes"
and "fancy goods." The windows of this building all have shutters.
The fourth building is shared by the Sunday Transcript and Scheller Jewelry.
"Gents Furnishing Goods" are also named on the awning installed
over the sidewalk. The hotel and segar store also have the sidewalks protected
by awnings, as does the fifth building which is on the corner. The frame
for an awning over the sidewalk is installed on the Goodman building, but
the awning is not in place. (The fifth building houses the North American,
a newspaper. and Wood Snyder, Engineers. This building also has five floors,
but the roof line is higher than the other four. Some windows of each of
the buildings are open. There is a yellow trolley running on tracks in front
of the North American. It is marked "West Philadelphia," "Fairmount
Park," "Chestnut and Walnut" and "12." It has 6
passengers. Propulsion cannot be identified. A coach with two horses stands
before the hotel. There is one couple on the sidewalk; two ladies together;
there are twelve men, four of them in pairs.
Drawn for Ferdinand J. Dreer, 1851.
Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.003