Southwest Corner of Broad and Callowhill Street, Nov. 1878

The central feature of this scene is G. Bertsch Harness Maker, a one-story building. Harnesses and horses' collars are displayed in the windows and outside on saw horses. The Callowhill side of this building has an open-air eating stand w/6 stools in front of a counter attached to it. It is protected by a shallow awning. There is a woman server and two customers. The enterprise is owned by T. W. Pilling. Next is Stoddart & Bro. Extensive Retail Dry Goods House. Next is a "Blacksmith Shop No Admittance" with horses in two of the three bays. At the far right of the scene is the terminal for the Peoples Passenger Railway Co. There are 10 figures in addition to the ones already mentioned. A four-wheeled open vehicle w/folding hood carries a couple(the lady w/her parasol open). The driver w/whip in hand controls the two horses. Trolley tracks are installed on Callowhill Street and telegraph poles line both streets. The dome of the Cathedral of SS. Peter & Paul is in the background.

 

Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.012

 


http://brynmawr.edu/iconog /evans/lcp012.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000