Northwest Corner Broad and Callowhill Streets (Torn Down April 1880).
The central feature is a "Hotel Restaurant & Coffee House."
Dining Room and Bar Room are separate. "Meals At All Hours." "Oysters."
A decorative wrought iron balcony is at the second floor level. In addition
to the shuttered windows, there are three porthole windows. In the background
is the Baldwin Locomotive Works. A flagman is directing a locomotive. There
is also a boxcar in the yard. Two sets of trolley tracks are being used
by two yellow trolleys going in opposite directions. Wording on one is:
"Fairmount," Vine St. Ferry," and "Callowhill."
Each is pulled by two horses driven by a man w/a whip. Crossing the tracks
is a closed coach w/2 side lamps pulled by two horses. There is a smaller
two-wheeled, one-horse vehicle w/an open hood. A pedestrian is helping the
driver control the horse. To the left of the hotel are one-story, small
offices, primarily of coal businesses. Visible names are "Branson Coal
Depot," "J. Galbrath White Ash,: "Henry & Escher Lehigh
Coal," "James Neil ." There is also a telegraph office and
tobacco and segar store. There are 2 telegraph poles of different heights
and a gas lamp on the corner. There are several adult figures and two children.
Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.013