Old Floating Boat Houses at Fairmount, 1881

Removed 1882

Fairmount, Schuylkill River, Philadelphia, Pa.

A floating boathouse to store rental oarboats is surrounded by numerous of its boats in the water. One of the boats has been pulled up on the shore by the path. The boathouse is identified as "Geo. Popps Park Boat House." In the background to the left is "T. Tillot, Boars To Hire." A woman with raised parasol sits on a wooden and iron bench while a man with a cane stands before her. There are two children nearby and a third child with a man on the pier to the far right. The trees are in bloom. This is an attractive summer scene.

Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.068

 


http://brynmawr.edu/iconog /evans/lcp068.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000