Torn down in 1892. Enlarged the Pennsylvania Station 1892 and 1893.
Northwest corner Market and Merrick Street or West Penn Square, Philadelphia, Pa.
A four-storey gray building, titled "Central Coffee House Block," sits on the corner, facing Market St. The frame of an awning extends to curbside. A sign "Condensed Milk" hangs from the frame, and behind it, on the building is painted "1427 Canfields Condensed Milk." The American flag flies from the roof. A horse and wagon stand in front of the building on Market St. On the side of the wagon is the sign "J. T. Carter, Upper Darby, Del. Co., Dairies." A man is delivering or picking up milk cans by the wagon. There are two trolley tracks in the painting, both running along Market St. They go in opposite directions at Merrick St. Adjacent to the coffee house, facing Merrick St. are two redbrick townhouses which share a common set of stairs. A third townhouse is separated by a narrow plot of land. There are two separate doors to the latter property. Perhaps it is a low, one-storey building? To the far right a horse-drawn trolley comes into view. It is #14 and has "Market St." painted on its side.
Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.076