Southwest corner of Fifteenth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, 1880

Torn down May 1880

Fifteenth and Pennsylvania Ave., Philadelphia, Pa.

Central to this scene are the buildings of the Farrell Safes business. The firm manufactured Safe Work and Franklinite Steel Bankers Chests. The firm was located near the tracks and rail yard of the Pennsylvania railyard. An engine and several cars of different tracks are in view. A flagman waves a red flag. A yellow and green trolley destined for the Baltimore Depot via Thirteenth & Fifteenth Sts. is at the crossroads. A row of red brick workers' home runs parallel to the Farrell buildings. A man drives an team of mules.

Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.087

 


http://brynmawr.edu/iconog /evans/lcp087.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000