Southwest corner of Market and Merrick Streets, 1879

Market and Merrick Sts., Philadelphia, Pa. Central to this scene is the four-storey white building with mansard roof housing the Third National Bank facing Market St. It also houses, on the Merrick Street side the West Penn Square Academy operated by T. B. Langton. Trolley tracks are laid on both streets. There is a single lamppost on the corner. Adjaced to the bank on Market Street is the E. Y. Sterner SegarsTobacco Warehouse. The rest of the scene is full of private townhouses, two of which has second storey wrought iron balconies. Thee are several adult pedestrians and two bare trees com- pleting the scene.

Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.089

 


http://brynmawr.edu/iconog /evans/lcp089.html
updated by BMC July 18, 2000