Occupied in 1844 by Colored Orphan Asylum
The Philadelphia & Reading R. R. Co. Office building dominates this scene. The four storey red brick building has a high green fence to the right connecting it to a two-storey green building housing Sullivan & Sweeney Cotton Wool, RAGS, Waste Paper and Old Metal. Also advetised on the front of this building are Corn, Oats, Mill Feed, Cut Hay, Baled Hay and Straw, Cracked Corn and Bran. To the left of the RR building are a series of low red brick structures. They house: J. Hunsinker, Commercial Merchant, Haines & Scarlet, J. Neil & Son, Lehigh Coal; and Barber & Son Coal Office, 13th & Noble. There is a water pump and hydrant curbside. There are several large barrels before the Rag business and six adult figures in the scene.
Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.093