German Reformed Church, 1883

Corner of Hillsdale and Race Streets, Philadelphia, Pa.

This massive red brick building with two sets of wooden double doors is protected in front by a high wrought iron fence and on the side by high red brick walls. Within the church yard is a sign "This building will be occupied next month by J. Lucas & Co. Paints." There are several bare trees in the yard. There is a telegraph pole curbside. To the left, on the corner, across Hillsdale St., is Cramer & Small. To the right is a four storey gray building with an outdoor fire escape where C. Ceider manufactures "segars." At the street level of the same building is "Grassmar Printers."

A horse trolley enters the scene to the right. It travels between Fairmount and the Exchange on Rase(sic) and Vine St.

Location: Library Company Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.118

 


http://brynmawr.edu/iconog /evans/lcp118.html
updated bycc august 10, 2000