North side, Three Doors West of Fourth Street
Brown St. at Fourth St., Philadelphia, Pa.
Three red brick buildings are viewed from the opposite side of Brown St. To the left is a five-storey red brick building with an entrance large enough for carriages. A carriage and horse are lightly sketched inside. This is a livery stable. Next right is a red brick building of smaller dimensions. It is the 3 1/2 story Zoar M. E. Church. The stone above the third floor is inscribed: "Zoar M. E. Church, Founded 1791, Rebuilt 1838." The building carries a For Sale sign over the green front door. This was an African-American congregation. The church sits behind a low wrought iron fence. Next right is a substantial three story red brick building housing C. W. Kramer's Light Carriage & Wagons. A workman in an apron stands at the door. There are three pedestrians; a gas lamp curbside; and several bare trees both in the churchyard and at the curb.
This scene is especially pleasing because of the rich coloring of the red buildings.
Location: Library Company Philadelphia
call number: P.2298.138