Erected 1749; "The College of Philada." 1753; "The University" 1779
West side of Fourth St. below Arch St., Philadelphia, Pa.
The Old Academy, enclosed by a high red brick wall, is a 2 1/2 story gray building with a small steeple sporting a weathervane. The wall also encloses a smaller gray building to the left. To the right is a 3 1/2 story red brick building(or three row buildings), not identified, facing on the alley adjacent to the wall. Three men in stockings, britches and tricorn hats (Colonial garb) pass by. There are also a woman and child. A black man to the left pushes a loaded wheelbarrow. A horse and carriage with folded hood pass by. The trees are in full leaf.
Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.8730.3