As it looked in 1851.
Chestnut St., Philadelphia, Pa.
This watercolor is in grey and white tones only. To the left is #231, D. A. Warden's shop selling pianos and melodeons. Next right is Mr. Moore's store selling "Fancy Staionary" (sic). Next right is the Masonic Temple, Rebuilt 1855, which stands a bit behind the stores facing the sidewalk. The building has gothic windows and quatrefoil designs. Next right is A. Hildebrant's basket business. Next is the Washington House, a five-storey building. This is adjacent to a building bearing the names of A. F. Class and Tyndale & Mitchell, which businesses are not identified. The address is #219. Two street lamps stand curbside in front of the temple. There are ten pedestrians in the scene.
Location: Library Company of Philadelphia
call number: P.8933.5