5829 Germantown Avenue

Image available at GHS.

Before the opening of East Rittenhouse Street (circa 1820), this was the site of a lumberyard owned by John Lumkins, who also served for a time as tollkeeper for the Germantown turnpike toll gate at this intersection. A small house moved to make way for the street was subsequently used as the lumberyard office and then, in 1840, as the residence of Jacob Culp (who did cupping and leeching). An early photograph shows a two-story brick house at this location.



|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||