Second building below East Haines Street
On Germantown Avenue
Collection (compiled by Jane Campbell, circa 1900-1910), vol. 33, p. 152,
"Association Property Undeveloped, Haines Street and Germantown Avenue"
(photograph taken before 1911).
This building is second from the corner.
A three-story brick commercial/residential building stood on part of the
site of the present 5861-65 Germantown Avenue.
Greek Revival, dating to the late nineteenth century or earlier. Flat roof,
three register facade.
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. Manuscript Notes for v. 2 (north of Chelten),
History of Old Germantown, pp. 32-33 (unpublished
- GHS: Photo Box 11, envelope 8: "First Presbyterian Church, old
Blg-5847-5851 Gtn Ave." (photographic print #641 pos. 433 featured
in "spaces and Places" exhibit, 1980. Also shows the three houses
north of the church/YMCA, including this building to the far left).
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 5, p. 46: "Building of the Germantown Young
Men's Christian Association, 1873-1892. Formerly the Building of the First
Presbyterian Church in Germantown. East Side of Germantown Avenue, South
of Haines St. (same photographic image as in Photo Box 11, envelope 8;
however, this image includes slightly more of Germantown Avenue on either
side of the YMCA).
|| Germantown || Addresses
|| Texts || Maps || Key ||