Southeast Corner of
East Haines Street and Germantown Avenue
Collection (compiled by Jane Campbell, circa 1900-1910), vol. 33, p. 152,
"Association Property Undeveloped, Haines Street and Germantown Avenue"
(photograph taken before 1911).
This is the corner building.
According to the 1871 Germantown Atlas, this corner of Germantown and East Haines Street remained vacant until after 1870. However, Keyser places no. 5861 on this corner. He states that no. 5861 was constructed c. 1810 and served in the nineteenth century as Jackson's grocery, John Jefford's property, John Dooley's shoe store, and in the first years of the twentieth century as John McNeill's grocery. It is not clear if Keyser is referring to this building or to the building second from the corner in the late nineteenth-century photographs.
The two-story Federal style commercial/residential building standing on the corner site in the early twentieth century had a tin roof pitched toward both Germantown Avenue and Haines Street. Its three register Germantown Avenue facade had a single dormer in the attic; the Haines Street side showed four single dormers in the attic and eight windows on the second floor.
Demolished. A one-story building now covers 5861-65 Germantown Avenue.
|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||