5849-51-53 Germantown Avenue
Former Presbyterian Church/YMCA

Left: "The Young Men's Christian Association, Main Street," [built 1812] Rev. S. F. Hotchkins, Ancient and Modern Germantown, Mt. Airy, and Chestnut Hill (Philadelphia: P. W. Ziegler and Co., 1889), page 139 (engraving).
Right: PHC: "Young Men's Christian Association, Germantown" [built 1892] (photographic image).

In 1812 a Greek Revival structure was built on this site as Germantown's First Presbyterian Church. In 1873 after First Presbyterian constructed a new building on Chelten Avenue, the YMCA moved to this location from its previous location on Market Square. The Greek Revival building was replaced in 1892 by the larger structure in the second picture. Further expansion plans in 1911 led to the purchase of adjacent properties on Germantown Avenue and Haines Street (including the sites of Coulston's house and of the old Methodist cemetery).

Additional Sources:

|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||