1982 National Register of Historic Places Inventory for
Colonial Germantown Historic District:
"(NWC Rittenhouse Street) John Rittenhouse houses, c. 1828, first floor alterations nineteenth and twentieth centuries, two and one-half stories, stucco with wood trim, Federal style. --- Contributing."
In the first half of the eighteenth century, before John Rittenhouse owned these houses, a shoe manufacturer and a butcher conducted business on this site. Then John and his brother Samuel Rittenhouse conducted a well-known country store on the premises. By 1903, the corner had been transformed into a "business center" with a man named Hobson selling provisions such as flour and potatoes in the rear of the premises. This was one of the first buildings in Germantown to install gas lighting.