5901-33 block of Germantown Avenue
Germantown High School
John G. Bullock Collection, number 55 (lantern slide, 1916).
1982 National Register of Historic Places Inventory for Colonial Germantown
"(From NEC Haines to SEC High) Germantown High School, J. Horace Cook,
architect, 1914; addition c. 1965, three stories, brick with stone and wood
trim, Georgian Revival style. --- Contributing."
The high school was built on land belonging to E.H. Butler, including
not only the Butler Mansion and outbuildings, but
also the Morris-Littell House. During the decades
after World War II the entire east side of Germantown
Avenue between Haines and High Streets was demolished for additions
to the high school complex. This high school was integrated from the beginning.
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 1, p. 116 (photograph of original Morris-Little
house on Germantown High School tract).
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 5, pp. 30-31 (1915 photographs, including one
of the pediment above the entrance, "Designed by H.H.[sic] Richards
and Cut by Benjamin Tweedale").
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 6 "Germantowne 100 Years Ago" (1955),
compiled and presented by Blanche Day: no. 60 (1955 photograph of historic
marker on Germantown High School site commemorating previous inhabitants
of the block such as Dr. Witt, the Morris sisters, etc.).
- GHS: Public Schools, Box 1, f. 8 (text describing
the allegorical panel designed by H. Courey Richards--for an image
see Photo Scrapbook 5, p. 31 at GHS).
- GHS: "Some facts about Germantown's New $1,000,000 High School
and Thomas Reilly the Builder" (text detailing the number of bricks,
tons of sand, etc.).
- HSP: Campbell Collection, vol. 33, p. 166 (photograph of the laying
of the cornerstone for Germantown High School).
|| Germantown || Addresses
|| Texts || Maps || Key ||