5909-11 Germantown Avenue
PHC: 5911-5913 Germantown Avenue (photograph
circa 1960 showing Germantown Avenue viewed from the north).
This two story stone dwelling served as St. Michael's Protestant
Episcopal Church rectory and as the manse of First Presbyterian
Church of Germantown. It was also the birthplace of Henry Van
Dyke, poet, essayest, preacher, and diplomat.
- GHS: Jellett, Edwin C. "Germantown Historical
Miscellany," p. 240: 5901-5913 Germantown Avenue, from north, c.
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman.
Manuscript Notes for v. 2 (north of Chelten), History of
Old Germantown, p. 37 (unpublished typewritten text):
"For many years before the present rectory of St. Michael's
Protestant Episcopal Church was built on High Street, this was
the rectory, and here, under the direction of Rev. John K.
Murphy, many important meetings in connection with the work of
that church were held."
- GHS: Photo Box 8, env. 1#4 "Mermaid Club Meeting Places"
(photograph shows house before commercial alterations).
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 6 "Germantowne 100 Years Ago"
(1955), compiled and presented by Blanche Day: no. 61 (1955
photograph showing colonial buildings at 5905-11 Germantown
Avenue opposite Town Hall).
Campbell Collection (Compiled by Jane Campbell, circa 1900-1910),
vol. 33, p. 192: panorama of Germantown S of Harvey--Butler
Mansion's iron fence, 5901-13 Germantown, across Haines
St. to the YMCA (early photograph--see Panorama 5901-5913 Germantown Avenue).
- HSP: Franklin Fire Insurance Policy 10286 for Frederick
Seckel, December, 1857, and earlier (survey and first floor plan).
- PHC: 5901
Germantown Avenue (photograph circa 1960 showing 5901-5913
Germantown Avenue viewed from the south--see 5901 Germantown Avenue).
|| Key ||