5919 Germantown Avenue
John G. Bullock Collection, number 52 (lantern slide).
The imposing Butler Mansion, set well back from Germantown Avenue
in the middle of the block between Haines and High Streets, was
probably built in the late 1840's. In the last half of the
E. H. Butler and his son Edgar H. Butler made substantial
additions and modifications from the 1850's through the 1880's
(including a portico and conservatory) and tore down the much
older original house included in the property (a two story stucco
house with a hip roof, fronting on Germantown Avenue).
The nineteenth-century property also included a large barn, a
combination dwelling and workshop, and a two-family tenement
house--all included in the insurance surveys. The mansion was
demolished in 1914 for the construction of Germantown High School.
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. Manuscript Notes for v. 2 (north
of Chelten), History of Old Germantown, p. 37 (unpublished
- HSP: Campbell Collection, vol. 33, p. 163: Butler House
- Rose House (manuscript
text and photograph, front view taken from across Germantown
- HSP: Franklin Fire Insurance Policy 6411 for Frederick
Seckel in 1847 and for E. H. Butler in 1856 (surveys, floor plans and site map
for five buildings).
- HSP: Franklin Fire Insurance Policy 6990 for Frederick
Seckel in 1846 (survey and site
plan for stone dwelling, and later, a frame carpenter
Perkins Collection, vol. 61D, pp. 48-49: Butler House (no
text, but a small and a large version of the same photo found in
the Campbell Collection, dated 1901/1905).
Shoemaker Collection, folio 13: "E. H. Butler's
Residence, (torn down 1914 to make way for high school). E cor
Germantown Road & High St." (photographed from the south corner
by Russ, 1913; text limited to geneological notes).
- Hotchkins, Rev. S. F. Ancient and Modern
Germantown, Mt. Airy, and Chestnut Hill. Philadelphia:
P. W. Ziegler and Co., 1889, p. 141 (text).
|| Key ||