5928 Germantown Avenue
Old Town Hall
Perkins Collection, vol. 61D, p. 42, "Bird's-Eye View of Central Germantown
in the Early Sixties" (oval photograph shows Cuyler Hospital and the
stand pipe for the Germantown Water Works as well as side of old Town Hall
with original steeple)
Center: HSP: Perkins Collection,
vol. 61D, p. 40 "Town Hall, Germantown" (photograph of facade
of old Town Hall with second steeple built to accommodate the old State
Right: HSP: v51:56 "Germantown
Hall" [in state of decay] (photograph from Dept of Public Works Neg
Constructed 1854, Napolean LeBrun architect. In 1862 additional frame buildings
were constructed at rear for the Cuyler Civil War Hospital which were dismantled
at the end of the war. In 1876 the old steeple was removed and a new one
erected in order to accommodate the old clock (made by Isiah Lukens) and
bell that had formerly hung in the State House.
- GHS: Handsome Homes of Germantown, Chestnut Hill, Mt. Airy & Pelham
(Germantown: Independent-Gazette, 1899), p. 11: "Town Hall, Germantown"
- GHS: Jellett, Edwin C. "Germantown Historical Miscellany,"
ff. p. 251: Old Town Hall (text and
- GHS: Johnson, George Clarence, compiler. Pictorial Germantown Road
& the Vicinity & Some of its Inhabitants, vol. 2, pp. 93-94: Old Town
Hall and Cuyler Hospital (images).
- GHS: (L1-11) Keyser, N.H (died 1922). Germantown Scrapbook, pp. 169-171
(newsclippings on Old Town Hall, one dated 1901).
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman (died 1922). Manuscript Notes for v. 2 (north of
Chelten), History of Old Germantown, p. 36: Old Town Hall (unpublished typewritten text).
- HSP: Franklin Fire Insurance Policy O 21754 for the City of Philadelphia,
December 4, 1854 (survey with site plan
and window details).
- HSP: Campbell Collection,
vol. 33, pp. 132-133: Old Town Hall (postcard and clippings).
- HSP: Perkins Collection, vol. 61D, pp. 39, 40, and 42: Old Town Hall
and Cuyler Hospital (manuscript text,
newsclippings post card, and photos including the two above).
- HSP: Shoemaker Collection, folio 9: Cuyler Hospital (text
and same oval photograph shown above).
- Hotchkins, Rev. S. F. Ancient and Modern Germantown, Mt. Airy, and
Chestnut Hill. Philadelphia: P. W. Ziegler and Co., 1889, p. 142 (text).
Old Town Hall, ca. 1865 (original sketch by a soldier--possibly John Richards).
- PHC: Philadelphia Register of Historic Places, Germantown Town Hall
|| Germantown || Addresses
|| Texts || Maps || Key ||