5928 Germantown Avenue
Old Town Hall
HSP: Perkins Collection, vol. 61D includes:
- Left: p. 42, "Bird's-Eye View of Central Germantown in the
Early Sixties" (oval photograph shows Cuyler Hospital and the old stand pipe for the Germantown Water Works as well as side of old Town Hall with original steeple)
- Right: p. 40 "Town Hall, Germantown" (photograph of facade of old Town Hall with second steeple built to accommodate the old State House clock)
Constructed 1854, Napolean LeBrun architect. In 1862 additional
frame buildings were constructed at rear for the Cuyler Civil War
Hospital which were dismantled at the end of the war. In 1876
the old steeple was removed and a new one erected in order to
accommodate the old clock (made by Isiah Lukens) and bell that
had formerly hung in the State House.
- GHS: Jellett, Edwin C.
"Germantown Historical Miscellany," ff. p. 251: Old Town Hall
(text and images).
- GHS: Johnson, George Clarence, compiler. Pictorial
Germantown Road & the Vicinity & Some of its Inhabitants,
vol. 2, pp. 93-94: Old Town Hall and Cuyler Hospital (images).
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. Manuscript Notes for v. 2 (north of
Chelten), History of Old Germantown, p. 36: Old Town Hall
- HSP: Franklin Fire
Insurance Policy O 21754 for the City of Philadelphia,
December 4, 1854 (survey with site plan and window details).
- HSP: Campbell
Collection, vol. 33, pp. 132-133: Old Town Hall (postcard and
v51:56 "Germantown Hall" [in state of decay] (photograph from
Dept of Public Works Neg #20169).
- HSP: Perkins
Collection, vol. 61D, pp. 39, 40, and 42: Old Town Hall and
Cuyler Hospital (manuscript text, post card, newsclippings and
Photos including the two above).
- HSP: Shoemaker
Collection, folio 9: Cuyler Hospital (text and same oval photograph shown above).
Old Town Hall, ca. 1865 (original sketch by a soldier).
|| Key ||