5938 Germantown Avenue
F.D.B. Richards, Engle's House, 1859 (photograph dated 1859).
Campbell Collection, vol. 33, p. 155: "Old Engle House in
Process of Removal" (photograph from newsclipping dated 1905).
Engle House. 1758. Double House of stone with water shed which
breaks the first and second story in front, curved into a slight
canopy over the front door. Moved back from Germantown Avenue
for construction of the Engle
Building, 1905. Demolished, 1955.
During the colonial period, the Engles were among the first
tanners in the country. Until 1895 the ruins of the tannery
stood at the rear of the property along Honey Run, now enclosed
in a sewer. During the Revolutionary War, Washington was
entertained here, and the woodwork showed the marks of missiles
fired during the Battle of Germantown.
- GHS: Box 11, envelope 5: "Engle House built by Per.
Engle 1758" (photograph of original wash and ink drawing in John
Richards' sketchbook, p. 20).
- GHS: Jellett, Edwin C. "Germantown Historical
Miscellany," pp. 255-59: Engle House and Tannery (text and
images). Page 257 mentions that the tannery buildings, in their
later years, were a resort for local politicians and were known
as the Bark Hotel. Removed c. 1895.
- GHS: Johnson, George Clarence, compiler. Pictorial
Germantown Road & the Vicinity & Some of its Inhabitants,
vol. 1, pp. 95-96 (images).
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. Notes for v. 2 (north of Chelten),
History of Old Germantown, p. 40: Engle House (unpublished typewritten text).
- GHS: Photo Box 1:
- p. 26: "Engle house" (photograph of
exterior by Samuel Castner, Jr., 1904).
- p. 46: Engle house after moving (photograph by Fred
Perry Powers, 1903-24).
- p. 92: ""Engle House at rear above Germantown
Municipal Building" (photograph taken in 1930 by a city
photographer at the direction of Mayor Mackey).
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 6 "Germantowne 100 Years Ago"
(1955), compiled and presented by Blanche Day: no. 59 (photograph
of Engle House no. 5938 moved to rear as Polis Antiques).
- HSP: Campbell Collection, vol. 33, pp. 135-142 Engle
House 5938 (newsclippings and
images, including the one above).
- HSP: Perkins Collection, vol. 61D, pp. 44-47 Engle
House (images-including the F. deB. Richards image found at the LCP,
newsclippings, and manuscript
Richards, John. Old Landmarks in
Germantown and Vicinity, 129b. "Next to Town Hall. Mr. Engle
5034 (old numbering) Main St." (sketch of house and out buildings
from the rear, showing horse-drawn trolley on Germantown Avenue).
- HSP: Shoemaker Collection, folios 14 and 17: Engle
house, old tannery and neighboring houses (two photographs of
exterior and main door and manuscript text).
- Hotchkins, Rev. S. F. Ancient and Modern Germantown,
Mt. Airy, and Chestnut Hill. Philadelphia: P. W. Ziegler and
Co., 1889, p. 142 (text).
- Jellett, Edwin C. Germantown Gardens and
Gardeners. Germantown: Horace F. McCann, 1914, p. 78 (text).
John G. Bullock Collection, number 50: "Engle House Main St. abv
Town Hall - built 1758 by Benj. Engle. Stone in N Gable: BE
1758." (lantern slide dated April
|| Key ||