6019 (subsequently 6023) Germantown Avenue
Green Tree Tavern, Daniel Pastorius House
Shoemaker Collection, folio 14: "The Green Tree Tavern.
Germantown Road ab High St." (John
Richards zinc lithograph, dated 1875, includes the large barn
in the rear as well as the tavern).
Photo Collection, box 43, folder 3 "Picturesque Houses of
G'town:" "Pastorius House G'town" (photograph [postcard?] after
the 1930 move).
1982 National Register of Historic Places Inventory for
Colonial Germantown Historic District:
"Green Tree Tavern, Daniel Pastorius House, 1748; moved and
altered 1930, two and one-half stories, stone with wood trim,
Colonial style. --- Significant."
Constructed in 1748 by Daniel Francis Pastorius adjacent to the
homestead of his grandfather Francis
Daniel Pastorius, the founder of Germantown; moved to 6023 and
altered, 1930, to make room for additions to the First Methodist Church. The Battle of
Germantown included this site; Washington is said to have dined
A.k.a. Green Tree Tavern, Hornet Nest. Ownership has passed from
Livezey to Heath, 1775 (Mackenett rented); to Mackenett, 1797; to
Charles Mackenett Pastorius, 1820; to John D. Wells, 1854; to
John Longstreth to Humphrey Atherton, 1854; to John D. Wells
[Bells?]; in 1850 to George W. Carpenter; to John S. Haines,
1871; to First Methodist Church, 1912; to Alexis DuPont Smith,
- GHS: Box 11, envelope 5: "Green Tree Tavern built 1748"
(photograph of original wash and ink drawing in John Richards'
sketchbook, p. 21).
- GHS: Jellett, Edwin C. "Germantown Historical
Miscellany," pp. 290 (altered house) and 291 (images) and news
photo of the moving of the building 35 feet north (Philadelphia
Ledger, October 22, 1930).
- GHS: Johnson, George Clarence, compiler. Pictorial
Germantown Road & the Vicinity & Some of its Inhabitants,
vol. 1, p. 102: the altered Green Tree Tavern (photograph).
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. Notes for v. 2 (north of Chelten),
History of Old Germantown, p. 42: 6019 (unpublished typewritten text).
- GHS: Photo Box 1 f. 1: (photograph).
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 6 "Germantowne 100 Years Ago"
(1955), compiled and presented by Blanche Day: no. 57 (photograph
of Green Tree Tavern, formerly at 6019 Germantown Avenue).
- GHS: Shoemaker #14 includes a view of 6019 Germantown
Avenue showing Warmer house to the north (photograph) and view of
Green Tree Tavern (John Richards zinc
lithograph--as in Shoemaker folio 14 at the HSP, with description
- HSP: Campbell Collection, vol. 33, pp. 188-191:
Green Tree Inn, 6019 Germantown Av. (photographs, woodcut and newsclipping).
- HSP: Perkins Collection, vol. 61D, pp.59, 61-64:
Pastorius House, Green Tree Tavern (photographs, woodcuts, and manuscript text).
Richards, John. Old Landmarks in
Germantown and Vicinity, 29b: "The Old Green Tree Tavern"
(wash and ink drawing).
- HSP: Shoemaker Collection, folios 14 and 17:
Pastorius House or Green Tree Tavern (above John Richards' zinc lithograph, as well
as a woodcut, photographs, and manuscript text).
- LCP: John G.
Bullock Collection, number 57: "6019 Main St. Old Green Tree
Tavern, once kept by Daniel and Sarah Pastorius until his death
in 1754" (lantern slide dated
April 6, 1913).
- PHC: Philadelphia Contributionship Insurance
Policy 17231A for the Green Tree Tavern at 6019 Germantown Avenue
(copies of surveys dated 1913
and 1932 for the Trustees of the First Methodist Church).
- PHC: Mutual Insurance
Policies 5082 and 4615 (copies
of 1797 and 1825 surveys of
house and outbuildings at "6021" Germantown Avenue).
- PHC: National Register of Historic Places for
Green Tree Tavern (text).
|| Key ||