6021-23 Germantown Avenue
Warner (Warmer) Houses
John G. Bullock Collection, number 58: "6021 and 6023 Main St.
Warner House" (undated lantern slide).
Colonial. Demolished in 1930 when the Green
Tree Tavern was moved to this site.
In the earliest years of the Germantown settlement, Jan Doeden
farmed and grew apples and pears on this lot just to the north of
the Pastorius tract. Christian Warmer the elder, who resided on
the next lot (extending to Walnut Lane), later purchased the
properties both above and below the Pastorius tract, the Morris-Littell house and Doeden's house at
6021-23 Germantown Avenue. Christian Warmer the younger then
lived here with Dr. Christopher Witt, who had previously resided
in the Morris-Littell house with Daniel Geissler, its previous
- GHS: glass negatives, box 5, env 5#2 (Jellett negative
dated 1903, showing store fronts).
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. Notes for v. 2 (north of Chelten),
History of Old Germantown:
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 2, p. 105: "#6021-23"
Campbell Collection, vol. 33, p. 193: "Warner Houses. 6021-6023
Gtn Av." (same photographic image as in Perkins, vol. 61D, p.
65; taken before the 1886 construction of 6025-29 Germantown Avenue).
Mutual/Green Tree Insurance Policy 9216 for 6023 Germantown
- HSP: Perkins Collection, vol. 61D, p. 65: "6021 and
6023 Germantown av. - Warner houses" (same photographic image as
in Campbell, vol. 33, p. 193, and manuscript text).
- Jellett, Edwin C. Germantown Gardens and
Gardeners. Germantown: Horace F.
McCann, 1914, pp. 13-14: associations of Christian Warmer and of
Dr. Christopher Witt with this property, including its gardens,
during the Colonial period (text).
These Warner houses also appear in some images of the Green
Campbell Collection, vol. 33, pp. 188-189: Green Tree Inn,
6019 Germantown Av. (photographs, woodcut).
Perkins Collection, 61D:59, 61, 63, and 64 Pastorius House,
Green Tree Tavern (photographs, woodcuts).
Shoemaker Collection, folio 14: Green Tree Tavern
|| Key ||