6027 Germantown Avenue
Old Post Office
Shoemaker Collection, folio 12: "E side Germantown Road,
third house below W Walnut Lane. The Post Office of Germantown
in President Jackson's Time" (zinc lithograph by John Richards).
One and a half story colonial dwelling and shop, stone, with
later frame addition. Once the property of Christopher Witt, left
to Warners; occupied by John Engle, tailor, in 1809. During the
Jackson administration the Germantown Post Office was located in
the frame part along with McDowell's store. Last occupant was
shoemaker John Francis and last owner was George W. Carpenter,
Est. Demolished 1887. One of brick houses built later at this
site was occupied by Philadelphia Musical Academy.
- GHS: Johnson, George Clarence, compiler. Photo
Scrapbook 2 "Pictorial Germantown Road & the Vicinity & Some of
its Inhabitants, vol. 1, p. 106: "Sketch by John Richards showing
the Old Post Office in 1871 taken down in 1886" (Richards
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. Notes for v. 2 (north of Chelten),
History of Old Germantown, p. 46: "6027-29" (unpublished typewritten
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 2, p. 105: "From an old drawing,
showing Dr. Deavers house (6033) and Germantown's first post
office (6027). East side of Germantown Road and Walnut Lane."
(photograph of an old drawing, with typewritten caption).
Perkins Collection, vol. 61D, p. 53: Reminiscences of a mail
carrier mentions post office at Elbow Lane and Germantown Avenue
above High Street (newsclipping).
Richards, John. Old Landmarks in
Germantown and Vicinity, 30a: "The Old Post Office 1870 below
Walnut Lane taken down 188[?]" (wash and ink drawing).
- HSP: Shoemaker Collection, folio 12: "E side Germantown
Road, third house below W Walnut Lane. The Post Office of
Germantown in President Jackson's Time" (John Richards' zinc lithograph
shown above with Shoemaker's manuscript text dated 1889 on the
|| Key ||