In about 1840 the Washington Engine Company, founded in 1764, occupied a small frame building on the corner of Wyck and what is now West Walnut Lane. Later this company moved to a larger building on Haines Street.
The 1871 Germantown Atlas shows the "Wash Fire Co. No. 5" on the north side of East Haines Street across from nos. 22-24. In 1917 Fire Insurance Patrol No. 4 would move into quarters on the south side of East Haines Street adjacent to the Methodist Church/Harmer School site.