6100-02 Germantown Avenue
Knorr house is at the left.
FDB Richards Collection (photograph, 1859)
The house itself is first mentioned in a 1762 deed, but deeds to
the property extend back to 1682. The Knorr family owned this
property from 1728 to 1849. Later resident Daniel Smith, botanist
and president of Haverford College, cultivated a noteworthy
garden. The two-story stone and stucco house was torn down in
1868 by Jacob Albright for the construction of a store and drug store.
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. Manuscript Notes for v. 2 (north
of Chelten), History of Old Germantown, p. 47 (unpublished typewritten text).
- GHS: Photo Box 1:
- "House of John Knorr (left), West side of
Germantown avenue, north from Walnut lane" (copy of photo made
1859 for John Fanning Watson--same image as shown above from FDB
Richards Collection at LCP).
- in envelope 4: "The Knorr House formerly
at N.W. cor Walnut Lane & Main St. Germantown. Owned by John
Knorr and later owned & occupied by Daniel B. Smith. Copy by
Reuben Haines of a pencil sketch by Mr. Thos. Stewardson in 1862"
(photograph of oval-shaped pencil sketch showing the side of the
house facing Walnut Lane, to view see Bullock
Collection citation below).
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 2 : Johnson, George Clarence,
compiler. "Pictorial Germantown Road & the Vicinity & Some of
its Inhabitants, p. 108 (print of 1859 F.D.B. Richards photograph
shown above and also a photograph of same pencil sketch found in
Bullock Collection below).
- HSP: Shoemaker Collection, folio 12: "W Cor Germantown
Road & W Walnut Lane" (text and
- Jellett, Edwin C. Germantown Gardens and
Gardeners. Germantown: Horace F. McCann, 1914, p. 81 (text).
John G. Bullock Collection, number 65: "Knorr house, NW Main
St & Walnut Lane" (lantern slide of an
oval-shaped pencil sketch on a visiting card, made in
|| Key ||