6104-06 Germantown Avenue
6104-06 is the two-story stone house to the right of
the Knorr House.
Frederick DeBourg Richards Collection (photograph,
This eighteenth-century two-story stone dwelling was similar in
appearance to the Green Tree Inn, but without the second window
to the right of the door. In 1800 tanner Michael Keyser lived
here. After the War of 1812, British soldier William Botton [or
Bottoms] settled here, eventually buying the Haines brewing house
on Walnut Lane.
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. Manuscript Notes for v. 2 (north of
Chelten), History of Old Germantown, p. 47 (unpublished typewritten
- GHS: Photo Box 1: "House of John Knorr (left), West side
of Germantown avenue, north from Walnut lane" (copy of photo made
1859 for John Fanning Watson--same image as shown above from FDB
Richards Collection at LCP).
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 2 : Johnson, George Clarence,
compiler. "Pictorial Germantown Road & the Vicinity & Some of
its Inhabitants, p. 108 (print of 1859 FDB Richards photograph
- HSP: Shoemaker Collection, folio 12: "W Cor Germantown
Road & W Walnut Lane" (text and
|| Key ||