6105 Germantown Avenue
John G. Bullock Collection (lantern slides):
- Top: number 69: "NE Main & Walnut Lane,
built 1806 by Rev. Saml Blair for his son S. Blair jr." (dated
February 18, 1913)
- Bottom: number 70: "Doorway - NE Main &
Walnut Lane" (dated February 1913).
Two and a half story stone and stucco house, with elegant
woodwork and extensive rear additions. Built in 1806 by Rev.
Blair for his son Samuel Blair, Jr. Owned by John Button from
1835 until his death in 1882, when his grandson Priestly Button
inherited the house. Owned in 1912 by Dr. Richard Deaver.
Button pioneered the steam powered manufacture of hosiery in the
Philadelphia area, having brought two machines with him when he
immigrated from England in 1830. In 1835 Button erected a mill
building at the rear of this property; over the next decades
substantial additions were made. The Button hosiery enterprise
was known as the Germantown Hosiery Mills in the late nineteenth
century. The Buttons owned a number of properties is the area,
including an elegant stable across East Walnut
Lane and the Victorian mansion of Conyers
Button on West Walnut Lane.
- GHS: Box 11, env. 3, #111: "Deaver (Dr. Richard Wilmot)
House, 6105 Germantown Avenue" (print from Glass Negative Sanborn
#46, VIII-5-1904; front view of house showing impressive
- GHS: Johnson, George Clarence, compiler. Pictorial
Germantown Road & the Vicinity & Some of its Inhabitants,
vol. 1, p. 86: "Germantown Pa." including a view of the factory
buildings of "Germantown Hosiery Mills, Conyers Button & Co."
(photograph, courtesy of Charles A. Rath, of a commercial
engraving, dated 1884).
- GHS: Photo Box 0, env. 1: John Button House (photograph
probably taken from an upper floor of the Shippen-Blair house
across the street; side view of house showing rocking chairs on
the side porch, side hedge, curved two story arbor along side of
rear ell, and part of factory roof behind the house).
- GHS: Photo Box 1:
- p. 26: "North corner Germantown avenue and Walnut
lane (photograph by Samuel Castner, Jr., 1904--same image as
listed above in Box 11, env. 3, #111).
- p. 96: "Blair House, rear view, northeast corner
Germantown avenue and Walnut lane." (photograph taken in 1930 by
a city photographer at the direction of Mayor Mackey; taken in
the summer showing overgrown arbors and hedges as well as rear of
6105 Germantown Avenue).
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 2(1), pp. 111-112 (text and two photographs).
Photo Collection, Box 43, Folder 3 Germantown residences
envelope: "6105 Germantown Blair House" (Historic American
Buildings Survey 1934, and four photographs, providing views from
SW and SE, details of main entrance and of door to side porch as
well as glimpses of neighboring houses).
- HSP: Shoemaker Collection, folios 9 and 17:
Button-Deaver home, 6105 Germantown Avenue (two photographs and
Society Print Collection, Blair House (6105 Germantown Avenue)
Historic American Buildings Survey (site and floor plans,
detailed drawings of woodwork, facades and cross-sections of the
- Jellett, Edwin C. Germantown Gardens and
Gardeners. Germantown: Horace F. McCann, 1914, p. 81 (text).
- The Manufactories and Manufacturers of Pennsylvania
of the Nineteenth entury. Philadelphia: Galaxy Publishing
Co., 1875, pp. 255-256 (text ).
|| Key ||