6114 Germantown Avenue
Two-story stucco house (1809 or earlier)
"Thomas A. Gummey's House No 6114 Germantown Road"
HSP: Thomas H.
Shoemaker Collection, folio 14 (photograph shows added Gothic
This two-story house dates to at least 1809. During the
nineteenth century it was known to have belonged to Anthony
Johnson and Susan Douglass. Notable residents have included Tory
sympathizer Andrew Heath (in 1809) and author Henry Peterson (in
1887--although some sources identify him with 6112 Germantown Avenue).
In the early 1900's John Macfarlane owned the property. The house
was replaced in 1927 by the A.R. Smith
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. Manuscript Notes for v. 2 (north of
Chelten), History of Old Germantown, p. 50 (unpublished typewritten notes).
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 5, p. 43: "Gummey House. About
1905. 6114 Germantown Avenue" (same photograph as found in
Shoemaker at the HSP as shown above).
|| Key ||