6119 Germantown Avenue
Mennonite Meeting House and Burying Ground
John G. Bullock Collection, number 71: "Mennonite Meeting Main
St." (undated lantern slide shows Victorian house which replaced
Keyser house on the left).
1982 National Register of Historic Places Inventory for
Colonial Germantown Historic District:
"Mennonite Meeting House, 1770, rear section 1907, one and one-
half stories, stone with wood trim, Colonial style. The
congregation was established in 1688 as the first Mennonite
church in America (Webster, pp. 272-273). --- Significant."
The first Mennonite settlers worshipped in each other's homes
until this property was acquired and a log church was built on
the lower corner of the property in 1708. The first minister was
William Rittenhouse; Christopher Dock conducted a school here
before 1740. British General Agnew was shot here by revolutionary
synmpathizers during the Battle of Germantown.
- GHS: Box 11, envelope 5: "Keysers Yard and Menonist
Church" (photograph of original wash and ink drawing in John
Richards' sketchbook, p. 23).
- GHS: Glass negatives by Sanborn include:
- #49 front view, dated 8-5-04
- #50 view across Germantown Avenue, showing no. 6133
as well, dated 1-1-99
- #51 doorway, dated 8-5-04.
- GHS: Handsome Homes of Germantown, Chestnut Hill, Mt.
Airy & Pelham (Germantown: Independent-Gazette, 1899), p. 17:
"Mennonite Church Main Street, above Herman" (sketch).
- GHS: (L1-11) Keyser, N.H. Germantown Scrapbook, pp. 16-
17 (newsclippings on the Mennonite Church and Keyser homestead)
and pp. 63-72 (newsclippings on early Keyser settlers and their
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. Manuscript Notes for v. 2 (north of
Chelten), History of Old Germantown, pp. 54-56 (unpublished typewritten
- GHS: Photo Box 5, env. 8: 4 views of Mennonite Church
(one by John Bullock, one by Detroit Publishing Company, and two
by Delos H. Smith).
- GHS: Photo Box 6, env. 16: 35 images of the Mennonite
church including one view from the front, 25 views from southeast
corner (1903-1951), 7 calendar reporductions (1902-1929), 2 views
of the communion table.
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 1 includes:
- p. 1: "Mennonite Church. Copy of photo made 1859
for John Fanning Watson."
- p. 47: "Mennonite Church" and "Communion table,
Mennonite Church. First protest against slavery is supposed to
have been written on it." (photographs by Fred. Henry Powers,
- p. 97: "Germantown Mennonite Church" (photograph
taken in 1930 by a city photographer at the direction of Mayor
Mackey, view from the southeast shows rear of brick houses behind
the church and part of 6133 Germantown Avenue).
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 2 (1), pages 113-116 (images).
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 6 "Germantowne 100 Years Ago"
(1955), compiled and presented by Blanche Day: no. 52
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 8: Historic American Buildings
Survey of Germantown Mennonite Church, comp. by G.C. Johnson (7
pages of plans and measured drawings).
Campbell Collection, vol. 33, pp. 205-209: Mennonite Church
(various woodcuts, printed and photographic images of the
Mennonite Church over time. Neighboring buildings include first
the Keyser House and then a Victorian
house at 6133 Germantown Avenue as well as different
buildings behind the Meeting House. Includes artist John Richards and photographer L.
Mutual/Green Tree insurance policy 14029.
- HSP: Perkins Collection, vol. 61D, p. 72: Mennonite
Meeting House (manuscript
text and two woodcuts).
Photo Collection Box 43 folder 3, "Philadelphia Germantown
Mennonite Meeting House" (this postcard can be viewed as a small image or as a larger image; also shows the Victorian house that replaced Keyser house
along Germantown Avenue and some buildings to the rear).
Richards, John. Old Landmarks in
Germantown and Vicinity,
31a: "Keyser's Yard and Mennonite Church 1770."
- HSP: Shoemaker Collection, folio 21: Mennonite Church
and Keyser's House (four images and two pages of manuscript
- PHC: Mennonite Meeting House, Philadelphia Register of
Historic Places (text).
- Quaint Old Germantown: Sixty Views of Ancient
Landmarks Drawn on Zinc by John
Richard 1863-1888 and Collated by Julius Friedrich
Sachse. Philadelphia, 1913, plate XVI (zinc lithograph of
Keyser House and Mennonite Church; available at both GHS and HSP).
|| Key ||