6133 Germantown Avenue
Samuel Keyser's House
Frederick DeBourg Richards, Mennonite Church, 1859 (photograph
dated 1859 shows Keyser house to the left and old tenements
The two and a half story stone and stucco house was probably
built by Paul Engle in about 1750 and figured in some of the
fiercest fighting in the Battle of Germantown. After the death
of Jacob Engle the property in 1806 was sold to Jacob Kulp, then
Sebastian Zimmerman and Charles Harvey, and in 1810 to Jacob
Keyser, who in turn sold to his son Samuel in 1828.
In this house Samuel Keyser (1783-1868) raised six sons and
employed about thirty men in the manufacture of shoes. The
property was also notable for its fruit trees and for a cart road
running along the north side of the house to the tenement houses
known as Keysers court.
Samuel Keyser's heirs held the property until it was sold in 1870
to Washington Pastorius, who tore down the old buildings and
erected two other houses on the site
and opened up Pastorius Street.
- GHS: (L1-11) Keyser, N.H. Germantown Scrapbook, pp. 16-
17 (newsclippings on the Mennonite Church and Keyser homestead)
and pp. 63-72 (newsclippings on early Keyser settlers and their
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. Manuscript Notes for v. 2 (north of
Chelten), History of Old Germantown, pp. 56-57 (unpublished typewritten
- GHS: Photo Box 11, envelope 5, Richards' Sketchbook, p.
Campbell Collection, vol. 33, pp. 205-209: Mennonite Church
(various images of the Mennonite Church over time. Neighboring
buildings include first the Keyser House and then a Victorian
house to the left as well as different buildings behind the
Meeting House. Includes images by artist John Richards and photographer L.
- HSP: Perkins Collection, vol. 61D, p. 72: Mennonite
Meeting House (manuscript
text and two woodcuts, one with Samuel Keyser's house).
Richards, John. Old Landmarks in
Germantown and Vicinity, 31a: "Keyser's Yard and
Mennonite Church 1770" (wash and ink drawing).
- HSP: Shoemaker Collection, folio 21: Mennonite
Church and Keyser's House (four images and two pages of manuscript
- Quaint Old Germantown: Sixty Views of Ancient
Landmarks Drawn on Zinc by John Richard 1863-1888 and Collated by
Julius Friedrich Sachse. Philadelphia, 1913, plate XVI (zinc
lithograph of Keyser house and Mennonite Church; available at
both GHS and HSP).
|| Key ||